Thursday, April 1, 2010

Human power landscaping.

Last year I put a lot of effort into removing gout weed from three areas in cotton woods community gardens. The first area I weeded very well accept the one place i could not get under the large rock.  Somewhere inbetween a week and two ago i decided to weed under the rock. Of course i couldnt move the rock so i had to come up with a way that i could move it on my own.

I dug a little under then used the leverage of the large log to lift the rock high enough to slide rocks under.

I dug down a bit on the side tha ti wanted to move the rock. This made it easier but only because it didnt matter where it ended up. Remember its easier to get it up that first bit onto the compact dirt then it is to roll it in a hole and back out. I also had to weed in this area before i rolled the rock onto it.


Eventually Nazrala a man who works in this area with me came by and helped. He does not speak much english, hello, how are you for the most part. I was hoping he would take a photo of me with my head down digging. of course he didnt understand and went for what most people would expect the person standing still, so i stood still for a second and then moved to try to get an action shot.

Eventually we propped it up then filled in the hole.

Here is the final shot. I planted Grape hyacinth and another bulb that blooms mid/late spring along the rock border..


And that is the culprit. Best to get them (blackberry roots) before they get really large, i only had to dig about 2.5 feet down, i was lucky.


Next week at the work party i will try to get photos of how to roll logs using ropes and leverage logs. Heres a hint wrap the rope once around over the log to pull it towards you and once around under to pull it away from you. I know sounds weird, pull something away as opposed to push, but thats what it is.

I do not know what this is. It is very tiny. i dont think most people would have seen this unless they were 4 inches tall or have a keen eye for detail. The flower was about 2 millimeters across.


 I must figure out what this is, it smelled so good throughout march.

Many more photos to come. Of end of march and beginning of April.

No comments: