Sunday, June 29, 2008

My balcony and home

this year in my tiny apartment and illegally on my balcony i have:

-hydrengea
-sumac tree
- salal
- some type of fern x2
-cat grass
-chickweed
-echinacea
-oregano
-vervain
-Artemisia absinthium a.k.a. wormwood (yes finally after 1.5 seasons i know it is and i have it.
-Mugwort
-2 varieties of Butterfly tree x4 (just started growing if anyone wants one)
-willow
-verigated artemisia vulgaris
-varigated comfrey
-Holy hock (yellow and purple flower)
-Valerian(hydroponic and soil)
- St johns wart
-3 Small chestnut (or hazelnut) trees
-A red rose plant
-calendula
-Dwarf cedar tree
-snap dragons
-3 that i dont know the names of
- purple Wandering Jew
-2 verigated ivys
- varigated spathiphyllum
- spathiphyllum ( peace lilly)
- Purple shamrocks
- begonia escargot (purple /green leaves with red stocks
- violets
- corsican mint
- Honesuckle
- peppers
- yam
-2 fuscias (not yet sure the variety name)
-spearmint
-peppermint
July 16th
-Recently a moving neighbor gave me some plants including; a massive lilly, a cactus, a spider plant, peppermint, and one i don't even know the family of. Also a lot of pots, some soil, watering cans.



For these aphids today, their last day, is a holocaust.

One of the potted plants i brought indoors, has a few species in it primarily though chocolate mint. At this time of year the mint is small, dark, and full of water. Perfect for aphids. I saw a few last night so without delay grabbed my trusty vinegar and water and gave the pot a good dosing.

This morning when i woke up within at least 6 inches radius around the pot were dead aphids. A little taken back by the sight, i originally thought it was just some scattered dirt from the pot. I sprayed it down again, did some pruning and sprayed again making sure to get the soil.

I would estimate close to a thousand of these green cold resistant bastards. So i also brought in my artemisia/ mugwort pot, which supposedly the artemisia releases a scent that keeps some critters out of the garden. I havn't noticed a smell yet but it could be because its small young and tightly compacted from trying to grow outside in the winter. The mugwort almost looks like moss parsley.

With the chocolate mint in my room my room smells great, but i hope after the aphids are gone i remember to wash the vinegar off of it before i make tea.


on further inspection of the mugwort its covered in aphids also, but the artemisia seems fine.

I think i should have taken it more seriously last night my passion flower is now infected also. which is only three day old sprouts, i havn't been able to keep it alive in my room for longer then 3 months. no flowers, no fruit yet.

With the amount of vinegar i have to use im likely to screw up a couple micro ecosystems. Raising the ph to much will likely kill the plants also.


16:00 Artemis and philosopher monkey, appear more nervous then brave as they bare witness to a lake of dead bodies while my battle stay ongoing.

16:05 My greatest fear may be the reality that i now face. it appears that their dead are not dissolving in the vinegar as i hoped and i may have to go in with fingers. There plump and theres a lot of them.

My Chocolate Mint
16:20 As i prepare for my fifth attack wave i am reminded that my loved ones may miss me and this war appears to be pursuing the night. I have decided that it is time to pull out the larger ammunition. Im now mixing dish soap in my spray bottle. Since my passion flower has them on it i can only assume that they were over crowded and began producing flying aphids. This disturbing news has only brought down the morale of my companions.

16:25 My strategy of spraying low has proved beneficial they are running for high ground out into the open along bare sticks. At best at this time i can at least say i have reduced their parthenogenesis and that is gaining ground. The good news has reached artemis and he appears to be sleeping sounder.

16:41 I have done all i can, it is now in the hands of sunlight dish detergent. I have one this battle, with no casualties. The war continues tomorrow, so i wont allow one victory to inflate my ego.

No comments: